First Day in South Africa (:

IMG_5509

  • First Taxi Ride in South Africa- 250 Rand (~ $20 USD)


I arrived into the South Africa airport at 10AM this morning. Unlike big international airports, the customs and baggage claim took around 20 minutes. I opted to take a taxi to the place we will be staying in for a month. The taxi driver was very nice and talked to me about the most common activities that people do in Cape Town, which include hiking Table Mountain (picture below) and cage diving with sharks.

IMG_5507

  • Table Mountain in South Africa


At the hotel/ guest house I was assigned to be with 2 other girls, which have been very nice to me. We were able to go roam around the area we are staying and its full of fast food options, including KFC and McDonalds.

First Meal in South Africa

  • "Old Style Caesar Wrap" from KAUAI restaurant


I ate my first meal at Kauai, which serves wraps, salads, soups, coffees and teas (picture above). I had the "Old Style Caesar's Wrap", which was basically a Caesar salad in a wrap (including the croutons). We also went to the University of Cape Town, and it is VERY beautiful. The buildings remind me of Yale and Harvard's structures. They have a lot of art, and its just very peaceful when walking around there. One of the reasons might be because they are in finals week and some people might be gone or just studying. Later at night I tried my first pizza in South Africa, which was just like a flat bread pizza from the U.S. I am somewhat scared of trying new foods here in Africa, but if I really want to learn about their culture I should eat more traditional food and less "American" food. While today was exhausting because of my 11 hour flight from London, I am excited to start learning more about African culture and history.

Comments

Popular Posts