Week 5: London + Farewells

My last week of the global seminar was full of final adventures, fun stories, and sad goodbyes. I started out the week checking off the rest of my London to-do list. I went to several museums, including the Design Museum, Victoria & Albert, and Tate Modern. My favorite of these was the Design Museum. As an engineering student, it was fascinating to learn the history behind the design of some of our everyday objects. Later in the week, I attended an evensong service in Westminster and went to see the play Wicked with some of the friends I’ve made from this experience. I ended the week with class and a goodbye lunch with my entire global seminar cohort where we told stories and recollected the last five weeks we’ve spent together.

Participating in this study abroad experience has been more rewarding than I could have imagined. I learned cultural differences such as the Irish tendency to tease or joke with someone they just met, the way that London has almost fully transitioned to only cashless transactions, and how serious the Dutch are about their bikes. In my courses, I learned more about myself as a leader, how to lead an organization, and about the importance and benefits of diversity within a team. I have made friends who I have stories and memories with that will last a lifetime. Most importantly, however, I have broadened my perspective on what an educational environment can consist of and how crucial it is to push myself out of my comfort zone and experience new points of view and cultures. I am so incredibly thankful for the lessons that this summer has taught me and cannot wait to start planning next summer’s adventures!






Comments

Popular Posts