Reflections

Kunsthistorisches Museum in Vienna, Austria

Now that it has been some time since I have returned home from Europe, I've had ample time to reflect on my experience. From meeting new people, understanding myself, and exploring the world, I have gained so much from my time abroad. My memories and my thoughts are forever mine to keep and eternally mine to share. There was so much that I loved and appreciated that it's overwhelming to really breakdown everything that impacted me. 

Dog from Venice, Italy

Seeing animals always sparked joy in my heart. These little friends hold a part in my precious memories.

Turtles and fish from Salzburg, Austria

Cat from Dubrovnik, Croatia

Cat from Dubrovnik, Croatia

Handmade souvenirs in Dubrovnik, Croatia

I adored interacting with locals and seeing the beautiful craftsmanship that is a prominent characteristic of culture and tradition. We were met with lots of kindness and hospitality wherever we went whether it was in Austria, Italy, or Croatia. It was amazing being so far away from home and still feeling comforted by people with such big hearts. These new environments brought great moments of lively happinesses. 

Homeland War Museum in Dubrovnik, Croatia

Taking time to indulge in European history in a way that I wouldn't have been able to back at home. War museums were a particularly saddening experience but is something I'm not exposed to in the same manner back in the United States. The hardest excursion was going to Mauthausen Concentration Camp in Austria as it was inexplainable being in an area that I had learned so much about but it had still felt so far away from me. In this way, I connect myself to all of humanity around the globe. In pain and suffering, I will suffer also and never disconnect myself again. 

Dubrovnik, Croatia

Appreciating the captivating views of walkways, buildings, and architecture that was so unfamiliar to my eye. Finally I was getting to see parts of the world that I had dreamed of. Places that I couldn't even imagine in my dreams. No matter how much I discovered, it seemed like the world was calling out to me for more. There is still so much waiting, I have only seen a little of what the world has to offer. Though I would absolutely love to return to the places that I have visited during this trip, I am even more eager to travel to new places within and outside of Europe to see even more wondrous sights. 

Natural History Museum in Vienna, Austria

Allowing myself to enjoy this opportunity to study abroad. At times, I struggled with feelings of guilt or thoughts that I didn't deserve to be in that position. But, I gladly reminded myself how hard I have worked for the sake of my education and how proud my parents are of my accomplishments. Everything they sacrificed so that I could live a life such as my own, I wouldn't let their hard work or my own go in vain. I immersed myself as a student and grew as an academic scholar. I absorbed new cultural information and experiences and have let them shape me into a more rounded and understanding young adult. Everything that I have seen and felt has indefinitely changed my life. What a beauty it is to learn. What a magnificent privilege. 

Natural History Museum in Vienna, Austria
 
Victoria Morales Vargas

Comments

Popular Posts