Week 3 - See the Flower Bloom

 

With the third week rolling in, I started to grow used to the hustle and bustle of the city. The wailing sirens throughout the day and the crowdedness of the Metro all felt routine. I could easily start going to the food markets on my own with the few phrases I knew. What was great about the week was visiting Les Deux Magots, a famous café where writers/artists like James Baldwin and Richard Wright would often visit. Having breakfast here felt like stepping into history. I imagined Baldwin and Wright debating in the café as their coffee quietly being refilled.

Courtesy footage by Cydney Macon. Footage from inside Les Deux Magots.

The same day I visited Les Deux Magots, our class took a street art tour in the 13th Arrondissement. It was spectacular to this arrondissement freckled with street art everywhere. Some work small while others were massive. Regardless, the artwork was captivating to see. My favorite was one of a little boy looking out to what looks like the universe of some type. I found this artwork reflective of what it means for children to learn what the world has in store for them.


Courtesy photos by Cydney Macon. Photos from the Walking Street Art Tour.

Later in the week, I had the privilege of learning how to make macarons. I learned fast as to why macarons are so expensive! From the help of baking chef, I and my classmates struggled to keep up with the meticulous recipe. Our foreheads were beaded with sweat at the end! It was rewarding at the end however to bite into the sweetness of the cookie.

Courtesy photos by Cydney Macon. Photos from the Cooking Class.


What really made this week was visiting Monet’s Garden in Giverny. Ah how can I explain! It was such a pleasure looking at the vibrant flowers wave hello under the golden sun! The large garden led all the way to Monet’s house - a house you can tour. What was lovely were the giant lily pads that umbrellaed the fish in the pond. And the famous green bridge that oversees the beauty of Monet’s garden. I hope for everyone to see the garden if they happen to be in France.

Courtesy photos by Cydney Macon. Photos from Monet's Garden.

Comments

Popular Posts