Why I Studied Abroad in New Zealand

Studying abroad is something I've always planned on doing, but it was always an "in the future" sort of dream. I had to be older, more comfortable with being out on my own, save up enough money, and so on. But that is because I always pictured studying abroad as being like the average program: go to another university on your own for a semester or a year.

When I found out about the Global Seminars program earlier last year, it sounded absolutely perfect. I got to go with a big group for a shorter amount of time, take a lighter course load, and all during the summer. It would be the perfect stepping stone to doing bigger trips in the future.

I started by narrowing down the programs by course that would contribute to my GE's and going to a couple of information sessions. When I went to the session for New Zealand, I got extremely excited. The professors were so passionate about both the things they would be teaching as well as the location that I couldn't help but get excited as well.

To be honest, I had never really known much about New Zealand. Any sort of knowledge regarding it just never seemed to have come up in my life, so even though I would be visiting an English-speaking country, everything about it would be something new for me to explore. With each passing day, I found that the more I thought about the trip, the more excited I became.

On reflection of my decision, I would not change a single thing. I am so happy that I gave it my all to get to New Zealand, and I feel like I've grown quite a bit from the experience. Exploring the world is one of my major life desires, and I was lucky enough to do that with Global Seminars. I will never forget anything about this experience. Not just because I literally took thousands of photos, but because of the friendships I made, the things I learned, and the gorgeous things that I saw. It truly was a once-in-a-lifetime experience, and I cannot wait to get back to school again in the Fall and share everything with my friends.

Photo from the Waitangi Treaty Grounds

Comments

Popular Posts