Week 1 in Granada


Hey everyone!! 

It is Friday of my first week here in Granada, Spain. It has passed so quickly! I feel like we have done so much this week some highlights of this week were: 

  • Getting off of the plane: Being on the plane was definitely more exhausting than I thought it would be. Come prepared, I brought socks on my carry on since I wore sandals, it kept my feet nice and toasty. We were able to watch movies and what not, but my monitor didn't work!!! Luckily, I was able to pay for WiFi on my phone. The WiFi wasn't fast, so beware, but texting people and reading for class kept me busy. By the time I got off of the plane my body was sore and my mind was tired. 
  • Getting settled into my room: I was able to get a single, so I was pretty excited about it, the set up here at Nuestra Senora de Gracia is that similar to a dorm, where there are rooms and bathrooms per suite. All of the rooms are different sizes set ups. For example, I have a rocking chair in my room, whereas my friend only has a bed and desk. I think my room is super cozy, I love it! The only think that I kind of struggle with is that I am a light sleeper and the rooms have thin walls. Also, be sure that you bring an adapter!! 
  • Going on tours: So far this week we did 4 tours, the general area around the residencia split into two days, to the gym and parks, and the Alhambra. It was very tiring, I forgot my water going to the Alhambra and it sucked, please remember to stay hydrated!! On average, I walked around 4-6 miles a day, not much different than walking around UCSD. 
  • The food: We are fed by the residencia 6 days per week, the folks here are super hospitable and sweet. If you have dietary restrictions, it is okay to let them know and they will accommodate you. I also brought hot sauce because they don't really have that here. The bars have tapas which are appetizers, there are so many different types, my favorite are the croquetas. Something that I wish I knew is how much oil that is used - A LOT. It is crucial to keep an open mind, try what you feel like trying. I recommend the gelato!
  • Class: Class for me is interesting, I feel way more engaged and professor Cancel is very nice and the topics are engaging. READ THE MATERIAL. If you stay on top of everything, you will be good, Prof is also very willing to answer any questions or meet during or after office hours. 
Overall, it has been a very productive week, I have been super happy! I thought I would be more homesick, but I am not as much as I thought I would. The time difference is interesting so when I go to bed everyone home is in the middle of their day. When I wake up, everyone back home is going to bed. However, I don't feel like the time difference is a bad thing because it gives me time to actually be present here in Granada. Something the also be mindful about is that you should have some spending money before you get here, you can get some out of your card but there are certain fees. changed $42 and got €27 after the buy rate. I used my card at big places like Zara and H&M. I am super excited for next week, i'll check in then!! 

Comments

Popular Posts