Pre-Departure Excitement... Or Anxieties?

July 29, 2019, 15:58pm. LAX->LHR->EDI

Currently sitting at LAX Terminal 7 waiting for our flight to London... which is in 3 hours. Better safe to be super early than hustling through TSA to get to our gate. Even the thought of being pulled aside when I have to get to my gate in less than 5 minutes gives me shivers and headaches. Thank goodness my friend Teresa and I went through check-in and TSA smoothly; which is weird because I'm ALWAYS stopped at TSA for further investigation such as keys, medication, make-up bag, etc. I am utterly surprised. Now as I am sitting and writing this post, I have this weird feeling. Am I excited to get on board and fly to the Motherland or am I anxious about leaving my comfort here in the US?

The last two weeks were a mix of these emotions.
"I'm so excited to travel around the UK and Mainland Europe!"-- "But, what if I run out of money and get stranded?"
"I'm going to explore Edinburgh every day!" -- "But, I still have to read 6 books, write 2 essays, study for a midterm and 2 finals all in 5 weeks."

I worried about going over 50 lbs., getting to the airport late, getting checked by TSA, forgetting something at home, not packing enough, etc. I worry about delayed flights, transportation to Brae House, not eating enough, getting sick, losing my stuff, homesickness, etc.
It's starting to sound like I don't even want to go anymore huh?

As I am writing this I'm constantly reminding myself that 5 weeks is too short of a time to worry all of the time. Sometimes I just have to go for it an let go. Of course, still being careful and wise with my actions, but I need to remind myself that everything will be fine and I need to have a great time.

If you are feeling anxious about your trip abroad here are some tips to help you relax and find joy: 

1. Make a checklist of everything you need and everything you have to do. Keep a planner with you or on your laptop. But don't look at all the stuff you need to do as a whole, rather do each task one step at a time. Plan when the best times to travel and when's not the best time to travel (e.g. an essay due next week? Maybe you should limit traveling time.)

2. Worried about being over 50lbs for your check-in bag? Pack once with all the things you want to bring. Sleep on it. Take it all out. Pack again! Don't bring unnecessary items or too many clothes because there are laundry facilities! Bring the essentials and 1.5-2 weeks worth of clothes (had to get rid of a couple of outfits :( ) . Make sure to know the weather of your destination (e.g. Scotland has 4 seasons in one day so pack layers!)

3. Call your parents and friends often! Tell them how you are doing and ask what they are doing. Try to video call so you feel closer to home. Doesn't hurt to bring a physical picture or two to put beside your bed as well.

4. Spend money wisely. Take account of the exchange rates and see what's the best deal. At LAX the exchange rate is 1.40$ to pounds vs. 1.26$ at Edinburgh. Make sure to bring along more than what you think you need. Always reach out to your parents too if you need help.

5. Get ahead on your readings and don't procrastinate on assignments!! I definitely could've done better at home. You would want to extend your exploring time instead of staying in your room all day catching up on work.

6. Get to the airport early! You want to allow enough time to get through check-in and TSA with a reasonable time to relax and chill.

7. Keep a small across the shoulder bag or fanny pack to keep all your important documents with you at all times. This will also make it easier to take out your passport or ID at the airport. Make sure you aren't traveling with a bunch of cash, however.

8. Keep copies of documents, travel toiletries, an extra set of clothes, medication, and a towel in your carry-on just in case there is a luggage mishap.

9. Feed yourself regularly and drink water!! You wouldn't want to get sick on your trip, so be filled with essential nutrients and take vitamins!

10. GET EXCITED! It'll be so fun traveling and getting to know other classmates and professors! Do everything you can with no regrets so you won't regret in the future.

Well, I'm boarding soon so goodbye! Talk to you in Scotland :)

Comments

Popular Posts